Subject: [Leica] piezo plunge OT
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:42:34 EST

Hi Julien,

I have been selling the Nikon LS-4000 with Jon Cone's piezo kits for the 1280
as the ultimate 35mm Piezo start up set.

Cone's CIS set up is a is a little more than his competitors, but the support
is FAR superior. And you need it with this stuff! I have been experimenting
personally with these items as I start to retail them and I have found them
to be 100% supportive and informative.

I don't think I could have figured it all out on my own... and I am
proficient with both Photoshop and computers. As problems crop up with my
work or my customers, I am sure to need even more of their great tech.
support.

I have found Piezography to be more compatible with my Leica sensibilities
than I thought I would. The fine papers available make for nice
objects-d-art...different from silver, but wonderful in its own way.

According to Cone's people, it is actually technically possible to capture
more tonality with their inks than silver paper...I have not really achieved
this yet personally...but I will report here if I do. I have found the people
involved with this process to be very compatible (and in many cases
overlapping) with Leica aficionados.

The Nikon scanner is a work of art in itself. It is small, 4000 dpi and I
can't see anyone not being happy with the scans for the class it is in. Very
nice tonality and sharpness. I sell Imacon as well and it rivals the Imacon
Photo for 35mm in my opinion for a lot less money and deskspace. (no medium
format capabilities though.) It is "Leica-Worthy" and can capture more of
your Leica negs. than many of the other low end scanners.

The LS-4000 also doesn't have the many problems that the LS-8000 has...so if
you just need to do 35mm negs. you are in luck. One small cavet is that it is
tough to get a full frame with borders. I may modify the film holder or
perhaps buy the roll film adapter. The Sprintscan has not impressed me as
much personally. Those who say the scans are the same as the LS4000 probably
are also saying that the Cosina lenses are as good as Leicas. I have heard
that Polariod's scanners can be had very cheaply though.

As an aside to the whole list, while I am still a one man camera shop, I
think I may be the only dealer in NYC who is both an authorized Nikon USA
dealer and an authorized Cone (piezography) dealer. Maybe even in the
country? I have started to stock inks, papers and kits as well as the Nikon
scanners in case anyone else would like to do some one-stop shopping. :-) In
general my prices are the same or better than Inkjet Mall for inks and kits
and at least as good as B&H for scanners and digital cameras. (Nikon &
Olympus mostly.)

With all of this said, Leica and Hasselblad are still my passions and my main
lines. I think of piezography as a lot of Leica users will...as a supplement
to a wet darkroom and a fringe technology that is coming on at warp speed.

bests,
Rich
www.photovillage.com