Subject: Re: [Leica] Critical discourse on photography
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:59:37 -0800

Guy;

Speaking only for myself, I don't' feel threatened at all by the critic
or academic, as they are not my audience, or my clients. Whether they
are cultural commentators or not, time alone will tell.
I do have to say, with all honesty, that the individuals from that world
have been exceedingly kind to me and my work. I don't have a bad
experience to wave around like a flag, or a mortal wound to display. As
a matter of fact, just the other week, the city of LA gave me a
proclamation acknowledging my contribution to the understanding of a
port community through my work. I think I understand my audience quite well.
I did not reach too far back enough into photography's history in an
attempt to illustrate a point for the sake of brevity, and not from any
lack of knowledge of the individuals you listed. Yes, I agree that there
is a great deal of writing on the craft. But for some reason I don't
have the impression that there is a long umbilical cord through which
this generation is attached to that previous generation. While Stieglitz
was a fellow traveller of photography, the examples you cited belong to
those salons of the belles-lettres mannerism that I personally find
irrelevant. So what on earth would I critique? They are not of my world,
and I'm not of theirs. Besides, a substantive, and arguably
demonstrable, critique would undermine my sophomoric moniker, and would
far exceeds the list's playful and irreverent banter. I'm quite
comfortable here, on the jungle floor, screeching and tossing leaves
over my head.

	Slobodan Dimitrov

Message from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photography and Art Photography/ was gradschool.)
Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photography and Art Photography/ was gradschool.)