Subject: Re: [Leica] color noctilux autumn images
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:21:16 -0500 (EST)

marc,

thank you.

i was really pleasantly surprised by the 75 lux myself.  i was evaluating it
and was a little indecisive about keeping it, but those particular images
impressed me a lot (not in an egotistical way, of course!).  i then used it
for some of my daughter's dance birthday
    http://www.shinozuka-family.com/20011104dance/
and i really like many of those images as well.

to your second noctilux point,  i think that the first 2 images on the top of
the first page that you mention
   http://www.shinozuka-family.com/200110autumnlux1/
are not my best scans.   what i think happened to those and to the lower
ones on the second page
   http://www.shinozuka-family.com/200110autumnlux2/
is that i REFUSED to take the noct off f1.0, and on some images
i needed more than 1/1000 shutter speed.  so i said "to hell with it,
color neg has a lot of latitude" and let them overexpose by perhaps
a stop or two.  while someone might be able to get decent scans from them, i
found them rather difficult to get the contrast i liked.  they were actually
low contrast and saturation, and i think i dialed in too much in way of
compensation.  my experience scanning color images is still very limited.
in comparison, the 2 noctilux images on the top of the second page
   http://www.shinozuka-family.com/200110autumnlux2/
made--for me--very pleasing scans with soft colors and tonalities i really
like.

i might go back an try those others again.  but i've got 3 newly developed
rolls of HP5+ negs that are crying out to be scanned...  :-)

- -rei