Subject: Re: [Leica] To cheer up: now in praise of Leica
From: bachchaconne@my.com
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:43:00 +0800

Well I'm no expert on Topcon, but old specimens are still regarded
highly in Japan (and you know when it comes to Leica, how fanatical
the Japanese are), especially the lenses.

As far as build quality is concerned, Nikon does not make things like
the venerable Nippon Kogaku KK used to.  I had been a Nikon user for
years and starting from the Ai-S and E-series, the cost-cutting has
been very noticeable. Yet in comparison with all those wobbly AF zooms
and filmsy current bodies, Ai-S and E are still vastly more solid.
Nippon Kogaku used to pride themselves on making *only* the top-grade
professional equipment (hence offering nothing like the Canonets for
the amateur market) but sadly those days are long gone.

Here's several usenet messages which tell the Topcon/Navy story much
better than I can manage.  I'd think that Topcon was chosen because of
its innovations and tough build, as well as great lenses.

Andrew