Subject: Re: [Leica] Loading 35mm 36 exposure film
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 17:30:13 -0800

Joe Codispoti wrote:

> I have developed film for the past 50 years. In all that time I have not had
> any problems with any reels. Of course if you are the type to drop them,
> then cast iron may not be strong enough.
> Hewes may be the strongest, I am familiar with the brand,  but it should
> matter only to those prone to dropping them.
>
> Joe

Over the years reels for me have been an expendable.
Out of 8 reels there's always a bad one and I'm waiting in the dark with dread
to get to it.
Then sometimes I'll get smart and identify the culprit and replace it with a new one.
Make sure i throw the bad one out.
Hewes has changed this for me.
This is an ongoing fact among all my photo friends who i know here in town.
You go to the camera store and one of the things you are not at all unlikely to
have to get is a new reel.
Some of you guys must be incredibly careful and coordinated or Nikkor really is
a better brand and my reels have perhaps not been Nikkor. I know the Nikkor
tanks are much more money and built of better steel than than ones which say
made in Taiwan. You dont get rust in the corners with the cheap welds.

Reel buying for me now is not an ongoing expense or worry.
I know that my film is always going to load without a big hitch.
To me very much worth it, heck the lens is a lot of money, the camera is, the
tripod is, and my time at this point is worth a lot of money. I just need to be
able to load the darn thing on the reel without a hitch.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Where to get these Hewes reels?)