Subject: Re: [Leica] Odd email
From: "Graham Battison" <Graham.Battison@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:03:22 -0000

I know everyone must be sick of this topic but I am puzzled by the
following: I received the badtrans virus in an email quoting a topic off the
lug that I had emailed. The sender was william Butz. The lug system is plain
text so (a) it could not be associated directly with LUG (b)  presumably the
sender is getting my name from the list and poaching the topic to add
validity to the email. I have just had a similar unsuccessful attempt to
infect my system with badtrans, this time from someone called Tom Dale.
Everything is the same as before except that the topic quoted is one I sent
a short time ago and it is not yet showing on the LUG postings. My email
address is obviously available to anyone who reads LUG postings. Question.
How does he get the topic before it is published on the web?
Graham

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <Brian.Reid@cs.cmu.edu> (Re: [Leica] Odd email)