Subject: Re: [Leica] SonC's Picture A Week 48
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:20:15 -0600

From: "David Degner" regarding:
http://www.sonc.com/paw/fireworks.htm

> I love the color and originality, though the composition is a little
> discomforting.  I love how you actually have to look in the
reflection to
> clearly see the fireworks.  Was this intentional?

Thanks, David
 I shot several frames of this scene, and this is the one I liked
best.  As far as intention, with so many uncontrolable elements in the
scene, you often have to just keep shooting, and have faith that one
of the shots will work.  This is a time exposure of a scene of moving
fire, and just to the left of me was an identical fireworks show,
accounting for the strong side fill light.   It also enabled us to see
the people on frame right.

As to the composition, I'm not sure what you mean by discomforting.
I played with cropping for some time to get what I thought might be
balanced.  This is cropped from a horizontal shot.    I played with a
tighter cropping, but felt the seawall would then lead to the middle
of the frame, drawing the eye the wrong way.

Regards

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com

Message from David Degner <ddegner@morris.com> (Re: [Leica] SonC's Picture A Week 48)