Subject: Re: [Leica] 400mm 2.8
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 5 Dec 2001 11:03:37 -0800

On Wed, 05 December 2001, ternahan wrote:

> Doug do you have any body padding stabilizing equipmet to recommend for us
> scrawny types? a particular momopod to recommend?
> I got my APO 2X converter!
> trish

I bought a used Bogen 3218 monopod and put a Bogen 3232 tilt head on it.  Cheap, and effective.  On top of the tilt head is an RRS QR adapter, with a corresponding RRS QR plate (highly recommended, BTW) on the shoulder stock.  Note: the shoulder stock I'm using with the QR plate is a very old model without handgrip, and with a tripod socket in the bar where the grip would be in newer models.  This shoulder stock is like the one shown here:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/560R68.HTM

I find the lever-locks or knob locks (depending on age of the monopod) on the Bogen easier to use one-handed than the friction rings of the Gitzos.  This is a big deal to me because I frequently change the extension of the 'pod depending on terrain and critter activity.

I'm using a tilt head so that I can make minor focus corrections by leaning forward and back, leaving the tilt knob a little loose.  Vertical-format photos are handled by the rotating tripod collar on the lens.

Padding?  don't!  I'd guess scrawnys have an advantage 'cuz bio-padding jiggles too much, at least it does on me.  Fortunately my supply is small and dwindling... I hope.

Try your APO 2x out on the Burrowing Owls at San Leandro Bay regional park - I think that's what it's called.  The photo of the single Burrowing Owl on my website was not far from there, at the corner of Hegenberger Road and Doolittle Drive.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe