Subject: [Leica] Re: 400mm F2.8
From: paul.huang@sg.artemisintl.com
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:58:17 +0800

Hi Michael,

I agree with Doug.  It all depends on what you are shooting. I do mostly
birds and depending on the habitat, the equipment best suited will defer.
I find that for shorebirds or waders where you out in the open, a long lens
on tripods are best for me as I tend to stay at one place and let the birds
get use to my presence.  Flying waders or shorebirds are not a problem with
a good tripod with a good ballhead.  For landbirds however it depends on
the terrain, I live in Singapore and the forest around this region are very
dense and I tend to need to walk alot looking for the birds.  I would then
switch to a shorter lens with bigger aperture.  So far it has worked fine
for me.

I hope to put up some images soon but am finding out that doing a website
is a lot more difficult than using Leicas!

The equipment I use, 800F5.6, 400F2.8 and 560F5.6 plus extenders, R8 and
R4. By the way, I find that the 1.4X is better than the 2X. With the 1.4X
very little loss or none at all. Inspired by Doug's feeback on the older
telyts plus his pixs, I bought a 560F6.8 with gunstock from E*** at US$600
bucks. Should be getting it next week.

All the best in your search,
Paul

>Date: 4 Dec 2001 08:50:37 -0800
>From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] 400mm 2.8
>michaelgrady@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> I've been off the list for a year or so.  Good to be
> back.  We have recently purchased a second home in an
> area where there is abundant wildlife.  I now have a 280
> 2.8 lens for my r-8 but I'm thinking I'd like to
> 'upgrade' to the 400 2.8.
>
> I'm looking to buy  a used lens but would be very
> interested in trading my 280 and various other equipment
> for the 400.
>
> Anyone out there know of a 400  2.8 for sale?
>
> Any other thoughts on a long lens for wildlife
> photography?
>

>Michael,

>A few questions come to mind - for example, do you want to overwhelm the
critter with firepower, or do you want to >"float like a butterfly, sting
like a bee" with a minimalist kit?

>There are a number of approaches to wildlife photography that suggest a
variety of equipment choices.

>Do you have much experience photographing wildlife?

>One obvious solution is to add APO 1.4x and 2x converters to your 280.  In
many situations 280mm is plenty so I >wouldn't trade that away (unless you
sell it to me, cheap).  There are several photos on my website made with a
>250mm Telyt that leave little to be desired, at least as far as image size
is concerned.