Subject: Re: [Leica] I commend to your attention
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 07:20:55 -0600

Interesting discussion.
Here are a couple of ideas.
When you look at a photograph ask the question, "is life like that?"
Generally speaking when you see a picture you "like" or think is a
"good picture" you say, "yes, life is like that."
In the group of pictures being discussed (I only looked at page one)
the one picture that I thought was interesting was of the three (or
four?) western young men enjoying their dinner. I thought that
picture worked. They were having fun. They were obviously enjoying
the meal and being together. I felt like I was sitting at the table
with them. I then thought--why didn't they have a picture of the
"local" people in the same situation? Wouldn't that have been a nice
situation?
The other question to ask, is whether you "feel" like you're at the
location. The pictures being discussed do not really give the sense,
smell, feel of the place. It's a difficult thing to achieve but
vitally important when trying to communicate about a place. A good
example was the PAW picture a few weeks ago of the two people in NYC
hailing a cab. The attitude they showed plus their obvious annoyance
at not finding a taxi was great. I felt like I was standing next to
them. I felt like I was on the street.
And yes, life IS like that.
One last thing. Have fun out there. The mentioned webpage had the
feeling of a butterfly collection. There wasn't much fun. In general,
I always find the PAW pictures to have a "fun" factor.  I always get
the feeling that the PAW photographers are enjoying the act of
photographing.
Best,
John Fulton
Fort Worth