Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: I commend to your attention
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:08:10 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

> From: "Jim Brick"
>
> > Well... my opinion is that these photographs are every bit as good as 95%
> > of the PAW prints that are deluged on us weekly. Every time I look at the
> > PAW's, the "my web site is finally up", the "please look & comment", etc...
> > I have to bite my tongue.
>
> Jim, this list has a thousand members, ........
> > If you don't like these photographs, then you probably don't like Tina's
> > either. But because Tina is on the list and Ron Geur isn't, you only
> > denigrate Ron.
>
> Ron Geur did not ask to be posted on this list.  He built a web site that shows his
> probably expensive vacation...............
>
> However, I'll keep on shooting my little slices of life in the village of
> Natchitoches,where everyone knows my name;
>
> Regards,
>
> Sonny
> http://www.sonc.com

Sonny, Jim, list, etc:

I've thought about this for a while now, and I have to post my .02.......
When the "PAW" crowd started deluging the list with their stuff, I looked
at some of it (really enjoyed some/most).  I did, however, wonder if the
world needed all these folks' "snapshots"....I have tons of my own "happy snaps",
and would not assume that the "serious" photo world would care to look at them.
I even thought about posting such, knowing that the "list" would probably be
offended (as usual).

Then I thought about something I was told years ago, and I've passed on to friends
and students since.....it's VERY possible that individual 'snapshots', shot for
family/hobby/etc....will (in a coupla hundred years) be the MOST valuable document
of "how we lived/worked/shopped/dressed/etc"....these photos, to the historian,
will be worth many times the cultural/social value of the current "sensitive/socio/
political/artistic bullshit that passes as "serious" photography.

Is it "art"?...I don't know or care....I just know that long after the victim/
artist/abused/suffering persons' MFA project is in the trash, these "honest"
photos will be around to tell our descendents "HOW WE LOOKED"...

As an side note, to keep it on "topic", wouldn't you LOVE to see snapshots OF and
BY the great photographers of our recent past?.....perhaps "snapshots" of Gene Smith
or David Duncan WHILE they were photographing, perhaps around the house?.....

BTW, Sonny, our local 120 year old hardware store went out of business a coupla years
ago....I meant to "document" it for several years before that, and DIDN'T!!!!

Walt

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] Re: I commend to your attention)