Subject: Re: Summicron with eyes was Re: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 16:11:23 EST

In a message dated 12/7/01 3:47:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
odyssey@spectra.net writes:

> But I'm confused- are you telling me that if I wanted to switch this old
>  lens on to my M6 sometime, it wouldn't focus properly?  Thanks for any
info.

Rich:

I actually asked John Van Stelten in the context of a 35/2,8 Summaron with
goggles: could I use it on my M6 and M4? As I understand it, the
goggle-lenses actuate the 50mm frame on the M3 (and would presumably actuate
the same frame on any other M camera). So you would see the correct outline
usint a goggle lens on other than an M2. But I understood Van Stelten to say
just what was in my last message: a 35mm lens with viewfinder attachment
affixed will not focus accurately except on an M3. I haven't tried it because
I've never bought a lens with goggles.

P.S. I agree with your assessment of that first 35 Summicron. It's the only
35 I use on my M cameras. Stopped down, the contrast difference lessens
dramatically. If I really needed available light speed, I'd doubtless get the
ASPH Summilux, but I don't. I make do with the 50 Summilux.

Seth        LaK 9