Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 23:44:36 -0500

>I've used the 8-element (last version, late
>60s) since I was 19 (I'm 43) and it's performed superbly, wide open, in

handheld
>available light use all those years.  The new one MIGHT be noticeably
better,
>and I am in fact planning to upgrade my 35 'cron in the next few months

if
>I can afford it, BUT I won't be disappointed if I NEVER see the
difference in
>"real world" use...

Walt:

My experience bears out your statement.

A year or so ago I sold my 8-element 35mm Summicron that I had used for
12 years and I bought the asph. The difference in results is small, much
smaller than I expected. The asph has a little more contrast that is
visible (just) at f2 and perhaps 2.8. It also controls flare a little
better, but don't expect to be blown away by a difference even in that
regard.

The asph is a magnificent lens and I love it, but it wasn't the most
cost effective "upgrade" I ever made.

Simon