Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado and light (now getting long)
From: "Gerry Walden" <gwpix@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:20:26 +0000

Ted

As always, thank you for constructive and thoughtful answer that we have
come to know and love from you. I hope I am not being too sycophantic when I
say that your years of experience are one of the greater things about the
LUG - even if it involves a plug for the great book, of which I am already a
very proud owner  ;>)

I agree 100% with your comments about use of the light and it is very rare
indeed that I resort to use of a flash for most of my work, but Salgado
seems to be able to find light and control it where there would appear to be
no light at all. I am thinking as I write about a shot inside a building
with light streaming through a window. The building is a ruin in
Bosnia/Kosavo and the only light is obviously through the shelled out
windows, and yet the detail outside the windows is held perfectly and yet
the interior glows with light. The exposure difference between the two must
be enormous and you would anticipate either a burnt out window (no pun
intended) or a darker interior at the very least, but the whole picture
glows with light!

To return, I appreciate the 'reading of the light' is what it is all about,
and I immodestly think I am not too bad at it. Salgado reads it in a way
that makes most of us look like infants with our first reading book.

Gerry
www.gwpics.com