Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions on the R8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:31:14 -0800

What today seems like a very longtime R or Leica SLR user right from the
beginning and now with three R8's, I'd like to add to the positive comments
offered by many others..................  it's the best of the litter!

Not to say they didn't have glitches when it arrived out of the womb, that's
a given, but corrected. Today, it's like working with M cameras for feel of
reliability and quality.

If one is comparing the R8 with Nikon or Canon SLR's you're wasting your
time simply because they are apples and oranges, it's like comparing a
Mercedes to a Fiat or whatever.

Besides the bottom line question is, "do you want to use Leica glass or
not?" If your answer is yes, then your question is answered, buy an R8 and
get on with your picture taking.

And if after sometime of using it and I don't mean a couple rolls, and you
find you are not compatible with the machine sell it and buy something more
fitting with your pocket book and physical dimensions of hands and body.

Bottom line? I think when you've had it in hand for a few dozen rolls you
wont part with it and once you put the motor drive on, you really wont want
to part with it! :-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant