Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL Lenses
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:33:30 -0800

Joe Kelly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After being a conformed M addict for 25 years I recently acquired a near
> mint Leicaflex SL with a 50 Summicron. I love it even though it weighs a
> ton. The finder is amazingly bright.
> What lenses are good in this generation. I can not afford the current line
> of lenses. I am most interested in a 90 for portraits, a macro and one wide
> angle.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you and happy hollidays.
>
> Joe Kelly

Joe, either of the 90mm lenses are excellent.  The Summicron is IMHO a better
protrait lens because you have another stop to work with, especially handy for
DOF control, and because I've gotten so many delightful images with this lens.
If you don't need or want the extra stop, the Elmarit-R is a better performer.

For wide-angles, the 35mm and 28mm Elmarit-R are hard to beat: compact,
excellent performance, fairly reasonable price.

For macro the ELPRO lenses on either 90 are very cost-effective, or you can get
a 100mm f/4 Macro-Elmar-R.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com