Subject: [Leica] Good R Camera Values
From: goldman@math.umn.edu
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:03:45 -0600 (CST)

Phil;
	I strongly recommend the R3 MOT. According to Don Goldberg (DAG
repair), it is a quality body.
	The R3 (non MOT) has two drawbacks. If you left the camera on
overnight, the batteries would often drain. Also there is no indication in
the viewfinder as to whether you are in spot or averaging mode. Both of
these were solved on the MOT model.
	You should also be able to pick up the early 3-cam versions of the
35 F2.8R, 50 F2R, and 90F2.8R at very reasonable prices. All of these are
superb lenses and the 50 is probably the best buy of any photographic lens
(at the prices I saw about 2 or 3 years ago- I haven't looked recently).
In fact, a few years ago you could get this whole system for about
$1200, a system which, in terms of quality, can match anything made. The
only drawback of this system is the weight and that is the primary reason
I don't use one anymore.
	Stay away from the R4. Too many of them had trouble.
	The Leicaflex SL is sometimes available at a bargain price, but it
is getting old and I don't know how long parts will be available. There
were two versions of the meter on the SL and the earlier one was a
problem. Also, it uses the mercury batteries. If I remember right,
the R3 uses the later 76 batteries???
Jay Goldman (Minneapolis)