Subject: [Leica] T-Max [was: HCB and Pink haze]
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:20:08 -0800

>Feli,
>    To answer your question, T-Max film have a greater or strong, or
>something silver content, so they take longer to clear than most B&W films.
[snip]
>Sal DiMarco, Jr.

Actually, according to Anchell and Troop, T-Max and other tabular grain
films (like Ilford's Delta films) have a low siver content, less in fact
than conventional grain films:

"It is our opinion that tabular grain films are inferior to conventional
grain films. It appears to us that their only reason for existence is to
maximize profits for Kodak or Ilford by reducing silver content through the
use of tabular grains. Should you use these films, we suggest you try
overexposing by up to two stops and developing for 20-30% less time.
Following this recommmendation should improve results by making more
development centers available, thereby reducing microcontrast." ("The Film
Developing Cookbook, p. 15)

Agfa films on the other hand they describe as "silver rich," and Agfapan
400 they claim "has the most beautiful gradation of any fast film." (p. 14)

Viva Agfa!

Guy