Subject: RE: [Leica] re: hcb and art
From: "Wang, Albert" <Albert.Wang@ibx.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:43:00 -0500

Hi there,

Faceless isn't horribly all that good to be honest although there were a few
good pictures in there. I do admit personally that it was a guilty trip
looking at the photos and seeing that those are a historical document. After
all, aren't we too arched to assume that every Leica photograph ought to be
a piece of artwork? I use my Leica for a lot of documentation for the long
run plus there are a few very special frames which I consider art. In
another sense, although Faceless isn't a masterpiece at least it was amusing
that HCB who managed to capture other people got captured this time. It's
like a very long and extenuating chess game.

Faceless could have been trimmed down quite a bit. I would have suggested
that Duncan include a few of those pictures in a larger anthology of his
greatest work rather than a separate book. I would think that Bresson would
be happier about the lesser attention.

By the way, I think that HCB is a cool recluse. I be slick like dat. Damn,
Duncan should have used a Minox. That would be more creative.

Also, which picture of himself would HCB prefer? I don't think that he would
like any photos of himself no matter who or what the photog is. Also, HCB
isn't the all-encompassing god, Nachtway is :)

Okay, okay, enough of me,
Alfie