Subject: [Leica] SF 20 Flash and M setting
From: "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:12:56 -0500

Need some colelctive wisdom firneds..

Using the SF 20 on my Leica .85, TTL, I note that the flash will sometimes
not fire when set on "M" to be used as fill in at 1/4 power.  obviously,
when as fill in, the exposure and F stop are set according to the lighting
at hand, not at the sync speed of 1/50th. Usually the problem occurs when
the subject is well lit,i.e., on a beach where one might want to use just a
bit of flash on the face while keeping the over all mood.  I had Rich at
Photovilla try the M setting on the SF in a similar situation...the flash
did not go off, set to M, 1/4 strength, when the camera and flash were
directed at a light source ( in this case, a bulb ), but did fire as fill in
when the camera was directed at a shady area.  Since M is meant to be used
as fill in as the photographer desires ( regardless of the ambient light or
exposure chosen on the M6), one wonder what is going on.  The ambient light
should have nothing to do with it...or the fill in feature is abrogated and
not useable. Advice gladly taken. What am I over looking?

Elliot

Elliot

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (RE: [Leica] NOCTILUX/ Canon)