Subject: Re: [Leica] TriElmar and shade
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 00:20:54 -0500

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:18:58 -0500, "Dr. Elliot Puritz"
<drpuritz@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Need some guidance about the need for a sun shade on the new Trielmar.  Such
>lens is not supplied with a bulit in shade, but the elements are well set
>back into the barrel.  Wonder if anyone here has used the lens, and would
>care to comment on whether or not a shade is necessary or desirable.  While
>one is talking about the Trielmar, how about the max aperature of F4?  Has
>such relatively high F Max proven to be any problem in so far as using the
>lesn?  I had hoped that one might only need to take a single lens on a trip
>to Europe...believe that one needs to take at least one Summicron along, and
>perhpas the accessory 28 viewer for the .85 TTL.
>
>Elliot

I use one all the time, and have found no need for a lens shade.  I
contemplated getting the shade that Leica sells separately, but decided to
put it off and ended up never getting it.  There are no flare problems with
this lens.  Well, OK, I've seen one instance of it, when shooting
contre-jour with the sun just out of the frame.  There was flare on the
side of the frame opposite the sun, but the rest of the frame was pristine.
I've never seen ghosting with this lens.  The shade would block an awful
lot of the VF, and at the 28mm setting the 3E already does fine on this by
itself.  So I'd say forget the shade.

The 4.0 aperture has never bothered me, but then I use Provia 400F as my
standard film, and I usually take a 35/1.4 along for the available light
stuff.  The 3E is a daylight lens for sure, but 400F seems to make the days
last a bit longer.

My minimalist travel kit would be the .58 body with the 3E and the 35
Summilux ASPH. Beyond that I'd add a 90, but others might add a 21.  IMO
the 3E is a wonderful single-lens solution for travel or daylight
documentary work.  I have no hesitation in taking it as my only lens if I'm
sure of the light.

Paul
http://www.chefurka.com

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (RE: [Leica] NOCTILUX/ Canon)