Subject: Re: [Leica] TriElmar and shade
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:06:36 -0800 (PST)

Elliot Puritz wrote:

Need some guidance about the need for a sun shade on the new Trielmar.

Such lens is not supplied with a bulit in shade, but the elements are
well set back into the barrel.  Wonder if anyone here has used the
lens, and would care to comment on whether or not a shade is necessary
or desirable.

While one is talking about the Trielmar, how about the max aperture of
F4?  Has such relatively high F Max proven to be any problem in so far
as using the lens? I had hoped that one might only need to take a
single lens on a trip to Europe...believe that one needs to take at
least one Summicron along, and perhaps the accessory 28 viewer for the
.85 TTL.

Hi Elliot,

1. I haven't found a separate shade necessary, even with the 3E
switched to 28mm, at which FL the lens is hardly recessed at all.
However, I haven't tried any shots where the sun is just outside the
viewfinder, which would probably be the most likely circumstance to
require a lens shade. The separate shade is quite expensive and is
recommended by Leica only if using a filter.

2. Yes, f/4 is restrictive in poor light but for normal daytime outdoor
use I have not found it to be a problem. Outdoors, I normally use a
smaller aperture than f/4 anyway, since I use Fuji Superia ASA 200
colour negative film.

3. A trip to Europe, especially at this time of year, will probably
offer lots of low light photography opportunities. Unless you are
prepared to use a tripod, you would need a faster lens than the 3E. For
this purpose, I have an older version 50/1.4 Summilux (the one with the
slotted "muzzle brake" metal shade).

3. Since the 0.85 viewfinder M6 doesn't have a 28mm frameline, I guess
you would need the separate finder.

Regards,

=====
Ray