Subject: RE: [Leica] NOCTILUX/ Canon / Nikon/Olympus/Ko
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:51:25 +0100

> Now the only one we don't know something about is the Hexanon
> 50/1.2 as it comes only with a titanium body attached to it. Anyone
> heard anything about it?

>Jeffrey, don't forget the Pentax 50 f/1.2. It's also no Noctilux
>sharpness-wise but its out-of-focus smoothness is unlikely to draw B.D.'s
>ire. :-)

And there were too a former Hexanon 57mm f1:1,2 for the Konica Autoreflex. I
found one in Ebay, for my Autoreflex T2,  but the price finished out of
common sense. Nikkor had developped various speedy lenses: originally a 55mm
f1:1,2 in 1965, a 58mm f1:1,2 Noct with hand polished aspheric front element
in 1978,and finally the still in production, or not?, 50mm f1:1,2 who
started in 1979. Without any doubt the Noct Nikkor is a wanderfull lens very
well corrected for the coma and the only one who can try  rivaling the
Nocti. As per my own experience the best is the Leica but seeing the
pictures of Jeffery Smith with his old Canon I think that this one and
Nikkor Noct are not far away.

Meanwhile I've found from Canon users that Canon EF 50 mm 1:1 has a horrible
autofocus and therefore has to be manually focused most times so his main
possible advantage vanishes. Otherwise the quality image is not so far of
above mentioned lenses. The best images I have got in available light come
from my Nocty but the most convenient gear for doing so is the combo Nikon
F4 with his electronic focusing, a green light shines in the finder when you
are in focus, and a Nikkor f1:1,2. But I repeat if I get focus the best
image comes from Nocty.

Kind regards

Félix