Subject: [Leica] Noctilux vs Summicron vs Summilux
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:47:21 -0800

>The Noctilux is a spectacular achievement. It can do what no other lens
>ever produced, at least in series production, can do. That doesn't mean it
>can do what a lighter, more compact lens, better corrected for medium
>apertures can do.

On the issue that the Noctilux should only be used wide open and that the
Summis are better stopped down Erwin has the following to say:

The new Noctilux improves on stopping down and at apertures around 5.6
surpasses by a small margin the performance of the current Summilux M and
is close to the performance of the current Summicron M. The inherently
higher correction of the Summicron M gives the pictures taken with this
lens a higher clarity and an almost brittle edge contrast. Comparison
pictures with the Noctilux show a somewhat softer definition at the level
of very fine detail. The suggestion that the Noctilux should only be used
at full aperture because this is the aperture at which this lens should
deliver its best is not supported by the facts. ("Leica Lens Compendium,"
p. 131)

I find it strange that some feel the need to put down the Noctilux. No one
has said that it's the latest, greatest, best lens Leica ever made, that
everybody should go out and buy one, that it's the only 50 to have, etc.,
but rather that it's a wonderful lens that produces truly outstanding
results.

What's so controversial about that?

Guy