Subject: RE: [Leica] dinging one's leica
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:36:06 -0500

B.D.,

> What is the point of buying non-special edition Leica - new, used, or
> otherwise - if not to use it?

Some people like to just say they have a Leica...either for their own
feeling, or to impress others...or even themselves.

> So what if it's new and unmarked? If you
> coddle and protect it, it will always look new and unmarked - and you
> will never really use it.

Well, you can use camera gear with care so as to keep the gear as unmarked
as you reasonably can.  At least for me, and I am very careful with my
cameras...at least how I store and carry them...I find that I can resell my
nearly unmarked gear for near what I paid for it...and that way, I can get
new (to me that is) equipment and have no money lost...if I decide to sell
it that is.  I probably will not sell much of my Leica gear ever, except may
be a lense or so that I really don't use.

> If, for that matter, if you buy a new hammer, do you keep it in the tool
> box until it somehow gets a nick?

Yeah, but B.D., if you have a Leica, why would you need a hammer? ;-)

Regards,

Austin