Subject: Re: [Leica] Film scanner recommendations.
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:19:58 -0500

At 04:03 PM 12/15/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm looking to get a film scanner to replace my HP Photosmart scanner.
>I've looked at Canon and Nikon. From everything I've read it appears
>that the Nikon LS4000 is the best available in the price range I'm
>looking at. I read that to get the maximum results with the Nikon there
>is a fairly large learning curve. Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
>Sam Krneta

Sam -

I only have experience with the Nikon and am very pleased with it.  I don't
think the learning curve is any greater than with any other scanner.  You
do have to be prepared to read the manual.   The Digital ICE feature and
ROC and GEM are absolutely worth getting if you are scanning color or C41
B&W.  For silver-containing films like Kodachrome and regular B&W negative,
you can't use Digital ICE.  You can use ROC and GEM.  Since the Nikon uses
a light that shows up every speck of dust, you will want to clean those
films very well before scanning.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP