Subject: [Leica] How light tight should the shutter curtains be?
From: Matej Novak <matej.novak@hermes.si>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:52:58 +0100

Hello,

 Recently I got a Canon IVSB rangefinder camera where the first shutter
curtain had a lot of light leaks. I managed to repair them quite well by
painting the shutter curtains with a Deka Silk ink (acrylic based ink for
textile). I did the testing by pointing 50mm/1,5 lens wide open to the sun
for a dozen of seconds. Now I can do that and there is no effect on the
photos.

 Yesterday I got a Leica M3 (finally!!) and I did the same test (with
summicron 50mm wide open), and on one of the photos there was a light leak
noticeable in left side of the photo spreading and fading to the right. All
other photos came out just fine. My question is should I worry about it, or
have the camera checked by an expert (but this is expensive!)? Or in the
other words how light tight are the shutter curtains supposed to be?

 Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Matej Novak