Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 50 - Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse again
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:47:05 -0800

Dr. Elliot Puritz wrote:
>>> Nathan:  I am not being entirely flippant...Why don't you seriously
consider
> a career in Photo-Journalism?  You love it, and are obviously quite good
at
> what you do.<<

Hi Nathan,
Trust me don't do it!!!!!!!!!! Nice to have as a quiet thought in the back
of your mind, just don't take it seriously!

Unless you're prepared to start your life over beating your brains out
against mentally and visually challenged editors in a world where they want
their pictures almost free! And with no space in their publications for
decent photo coverage of any subject!

Besides you have a fine position of work, so enjoy it and use it to allow
you to continue enjoying your photography without the perils and
frustrations as a working professional. And in today's world of  "everyone
thinks they're a photojournalist"  you're going up against a tough crowd!

Keep your job, stay home with wife and children, live long and prosper! :-)
And enjoy your photography as you do today.

Take it from the old guy..... "it's an ugly frustrating job that can become
extremely frustrating at the best of times!" No matter how good a
photographer you are!

That doesn't say it isn't fun, exciting, wonderful, emotional, fun, tiring
and brain beating and fun once again! Oh yeah and unless you're in the right
discipline of photography you'll be monetarily poor for the rest of your
life if you are a photojournalist!

However, you'll have the possibility of, "wild and wooly excitement, exotic
moments of danger and  heart stopping terror" which are all conducive to the
richest life you can imagine. ;-)

Now if you can handle all that?  Go for it!  But don't say you weren't
warned. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant