Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M3
From: Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:00:35 -0500

At 04:24 PM 12/20/2001, you wrote:
>Elliot,
>I have the M4  and the M6. The older camera seems to me to be more solidly
>made and shutter release much smoother. The nice thing about a meterless
>camera is it forces you to take up and NOTICE exposure. You can take several
>different readings with a handheld meter and  gain considerable improvement
>in having precisely exposed pictures or creative exposures. Its easy to
>completely ignore exposure concerns when you are simply matching arrows. Once
>you master exposure, it makes no difference which M you use. Thus, there
>becomes no advantage to using the M6 and you get, with an M3, that great
>viewfinder with no clutter at all.

I have to concur with Bob - when I used only metered cameras I never really
paid much mind to what exposure I was actually shooting - would set the
aperture or shutter speed for DOF or freeze movement or whatever as needed
and fired away.  But with the non metered camera one must make a conscious
note in order to transfer the meter info to the camera.  I now find myself
saying, "Hmmm this looks like F8 @ 125th" when I first look at a scene and
then compare that with the meter reading...I find myself getting more
accurate as time passes.

BTW, M3 and M4, plus several medium format oldsters...

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change ready.