Subject: Re: [Leica] VII
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:35:45 -0800

The still image is still with us, and will be probably here for a very
long time. The stele, the first news/boast media, is still with us,
after all.
When VII as an agency contracts out for visual services, and not
necessarily news,  are they not entering that grey area that is
currently being addressed on another thread on the PJ in these troubled
times. After all, when they are contracted out by an entity other than a
_press_ publication, as defined through the term's common usage, what
kind of product are they generating then?
I didn't realize that addressing  ambiguities and contradictions imposed
the burden of a solution. I'll have to reject that imposition as I
reject the imposition of their work's attempt at eliciting a state of
physiological arousal in me. It's a presumptuous imposition that I don't
care to participate in, any more than I would participate in a mass
rally or an effigy burning, etc.
A couple of weeks ago, I had an exhibit open right across the gallery
showing the NY 9/11 work at Bergamont Station in Santa Monica, CA(It's
called At The Beach, with 6 of my seascape images). I took the
opportunity at that time to amble over and give the 9/11 exhibit a quick
look. I can't say I walked out a better, or different person from what I
saw. I was, however, moved by the 120 portraits in the next room, of the
Afghans themselves.  It reminded me of the work by a Mexican
photographer who uses a similar approach. That photographer's work is
currently hung at the Manual Arts High School in Central Los Angeles, of
all places. Apparently, he comes in at irregular intervals, and rehangs
new images from his small town, or village. Very moving, and deeply
genuine.
But, one doesn't need to go far from this list for a search of genuine
images. I'm always impressed, and amazed, at the quality of work found
under our very own eyes on this list. The cheer scope, and breath, mixed
with the exuberant enthusiasm found here in the dialogues, leading to
the showing and generating of work of so many is far more important in
the long run to the state of photography than what a bunch
of_professionals_with an agency can ever contribute. I'll be frank,
these kinds of lists are replicating the rarefied environment of the
early traditional schools with its fervour for the craft. That whole
communities can be so engaged with a brimming of integral purpose is an
important contribution to the craft of photography. Nothing like this
has ever happened before to photography, this deeply, this
internationally, and this locally, by so many people at once. Granted
that like the renainacance,which generated its own bocca di porco, we
are generating our share of occhio di porco. But it's more than offset
by the brilliant material that comes from non-professionals.
Whoops, got on a soap box. Sorry about that.

      Slobodan Dimitrov