Subject: Re: [Leica] Who'd be a PJ in these Troubled Times
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:09:07 -0700

Apparently the US is taking quite a public beating over this in Europe. Yet
France blew up the Greenpeace ship they were being bothered with. The agents
responsible were returned to France to serve out the rest of their long
sentences. France violated the agreement they had worked out and released
their agents. Whether you agree with the US actions or not, I think that at
least they did not murder anyone. This journalist will get his say in a
public court of law with full rights of legal representation and appeal.

Second, as far as I know, there are no provisions in the US constitution
which give the press immunity to perform illegal acts. Many brave
journalists have committed illegal acts to cover a story they felt
important. It is a calculated risk and one that needs to be made carefully
with the full realisation of the consequences. One gets the impression this
photographer felt he had diplomatic immunity.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Who'd be a PJ in these Troubled Times)
Reply from Bryan Caldwell <bcaldwell51@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Who'd be a PJ in these Troubled Times)