Subject: [Leica] Expensive glass.....
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:17:45 -0800

Mentioning the new JSK 15mm lens for $5K got me to think about other
extraordinarily expensive glass that I have run accross...in person, if not
in ownership......

The Zeiss Mirotar, 1000 mm , F-something fast, that I was told was over $5K
in the 70's
The enlarging lens that Rodenstock promised to make for a very successful
8x10 shooter.... $55K  ( they reneged on the deal once the bosses got
involved).. this was 1999 .....
24mm Hasselblad Fisheye lens that was reportedly made for a specific
industrial application... I think it was a Zeiss design..... was over $10K
in the 90's
The Nikon 6mm F2.8 Fisheye, whose price I never did see, but got to handle
one a long time ago....

The problem with low production is that you can never get the price down...
and the cost usually exceeds the selling price.  Companies do this to create
PR or just plain brag about their capabilities.....   they do not do it for
the shooters....

The final comment.... remember that the US government etc. have all kinds of
weird stuff made, and cost is no object..... ELCAN lenses are usually the
prime examples....

Contrast this with the Arsat 30mm FIsheye lens, a most likely copy of a
Zeiss design, for 2 1/4 Kievs and old Hassy bodies that sells for $150-200
New, today......   Amazing what a lack of cash will do for prices.......!

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Expensive glass.....)