Subject: [Leica] Ansel Adams at 100
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:03:25 -0800

I'm just back from the Ansel Adams exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of
Modern Art.

What an experience! So much of his work - many images I have never seen.

It was wonderful to watch his development in printing. I often found myself
wondering what the negative looked like - what choices he made to produce
the print he ultimately created. None of these issues were addressed in the
narrative. In fact there was a veiled criticism of his re-printing negatives
40 years after the fact. In all cases I found his later prints to be much
more to my liking than the prints which dated from the '40s. The narrative
referred to his late-life prints as being "melodramatic." I guess I saw a
man who was out to capture every nuance of the negative and worked until he
was able to express what he desired.

Anyway - it's a wonderful exhibition. It took me about an hour and a half to
walk through the first time. I went down and shared an ice-tea with my wife
and then we went back and looked at images we particular admired.

If you get a chance to go by all means enjoy this exhibition.

One word: with perhaps two exceptions it is entirely his landscapes and
nature photography. No portraits. No architecture (except one photo in New
York City). I feel this is a serious omission but given the demands of
space, hey, I can respect the curator's decisions. (mighty nice of me, eh?)

This was a wonderful Christmas present.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@bellsouth.net> (Re: [Leica] Ansel Adams at 100)