Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Frugal for PAW...
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:19:55 -0600

on 12/22/01 8:13 AM, Frank Filippone at red735i@earthlink.net wrote:

> The cheap ( emphasis on cheap) scanners do not take a full 8x10 sheet in the
> transparency mode.... either single negs/slides, or maybe 5-6 in a row.
> That is it.  The UMAX series will scan a full 8x10 transparency sheet... the
> Epson, HP, maybe others do not have this option in transparency mode until
> you spend the big bucks.

I'm not interested in quality just mid size thumbnails to look at. I don't
think I'll need a 'real' transparency scanner for that. I had a friend scan
some 6x7 negs on his flatbed and I got ok prints from that...

> The model I have my eye on fr the same purpose is the UMAX 4450... $130.
> Seems almost annually disposable.....

I'll look into it.

> Developing B+W film is pretty easy..... you have that well covered...
> Beware if using D76.. it turns more contrasty ion 2 weeks after initial
> solution making....

I still have my tanks sitting here from the HS days, I almost took them back
to the HS as a donation :)
Many seem to be using XTOL for all kinds of B&W...I will probably start
there as there a lot of experience here on the list...
- --
John
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com