Subject: Re: [Leica] Who'd be a PJ in these Troubled Times
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:27:57 -0500

Harold Gess wrote:

> When a photographer works for Time magazine he is deemed to be a
> PJ but Time
> magazine has become, largely, a shameless PR and marketing tool
> for AOL Time
> Warner's commercial products.

Read any of the several biographies of Time-Life founder Luce; you
will find that Time was intended to be an opinion-shaping
instrument from its inception, that it would (I'm parapharasing
from memory) not contain editorials but that the articles would
make clear the magazine's stance. Original documents written by
Luce said as much. The only difference now is that it's
Time-*Warner*, and that is hardly a difference that makes a
difference.

That said, Time has run some damned fine pictures lately.

- -Alex
Alexey Merz • alexey@webcom.com • alexey@dartmouth.edu •
603/464-6840
http://www.webcom.com/alexey • PGP public key:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/

              A democracy becomes hopelessly weak, and the general good
              suffers accordingly, if its higher officials, bred up to
              despise it, and necessarily drawn from those very classes
              the dominance of which it is pledged to destroy, serve it
              only half-heartedly.   - Marc Bloch, _Strange Defeat_, 1940