Subject: Re: [Leica] last sorta a week extravaganza
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 21:08:09 -0800

Don,

In spite of my distaste for Christmas schmaltz, I need to compliment you for
your effort in recording the extravaganza.

It reminded me of one similar assignment we had to complete at Brooks
Institute of Photography.
It consisted of a "Night Shot", a gasoline station with lights ablaze
against the Santa Barbara hills.
The night sky had to delineate the hills, the station roof had to retain
detail, and the lights were not to flare or overpower the scene.

At dusk we would congregate with our Calumets, Graflexes, Cambos, and the
rare Linhoff  in front of the station like a platoon of sharp shooters and,
about 20-30 minutes after sunset, we would record the scene with the light
off, then, the gracious attendant would turn the light on again for a second
exposure.
Only later we would learn that such scenes are best recorded at the time
when the natural waning light and the artificial light are about equal in
intensity.

That and the " White Soap and Black Cloth" where the type of assignments to
give a student nightmares.

Joe Codispoti