Subject: Re: [Leica] Widows XP/Mac was Gamma now a long rant
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:32:09 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> The Feds really will NOT rest until
> they've destroyed the US' finest inventive genius after Edison.

A sign of the times I guess.
I think that (in the old days) Edison actually invented things to solve
technical problems. Silly idea really.
The "finest inventive genius after Edison" specializes in controlling the
market through restrictive trade agreements, dumping practices, and creative
mis-information.

Maybe Leica should follow his lead and stop making better products. Just
concentrate on marketing. They don't really need to make the best 35mm lens
money can buy. They don't even need to make the best lens for the money.
They just need to give away the bodies, make OK lenses and convince AP, UPI,
most magazines, and 95% of the camera stores that only images made with
their lenses are worth using.

Hmm. (Why is this is beginning to sound familiar?)
Oh well.

If someone does make an add-on lens that's better than theirs, they can
change the mount, and give away converters that work only with their old
lenses.

Once they have market share, they can use their profits to buy out film
makers, film processors, and Internet service providers. This will guarantee
that only images made by their lenses can be processed, printed, or
transmitted.

Yes. That's real genius. None of that silly Edison or Leitz effort to make a
better product. Instead, convince people they need zoom lenses. Make them
cheap (so everyone can afford one) by using apertures too narrow to be
focused manually. When people find out they are hard to use you can sell
them auto-focus bodies to solve their focusing problems. Then they'll notice
that the latency between pressing the shutter and getting an image is too
long. Another opportunity to sell everyone a new body or a new lens!
Marketing Nirvana.

Hah.
I'm glad there are still a few companies willing to make products that work.
I think I know who they are with cameras.
But they may not last long with the creative marketing genius types against
them.

Mike Quinn

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Widows XP/Mac was Gamma now a long rant)