Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 52 MEB
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:43:28 -0800

Doug Ford wrote:
>>> The PLUG's 10 Commandments of Leica Photography
> 1) Thy children are ugly. Do not make us look upon them.
> Michael, rules like these beg disobedience! Good on ya.
>
> The niece - Corri
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=455437&size=lg<<<<<<<<

Good morning Mr. Ford,
A very well executed photograph of your niece. Solid composition, exposure
and exactly the right angle! Whether you bent your knees or not!

I might ask what the intent was in your above comment about PLUG rules /
children? Is it not to show ones photographs to learn whether they are good,
bad or ugly and what can be done to improve or find out they are a smashing
good picture?

As in Michael's photograph where the earlier post was intended to point out
to Mike that getting down quickly would've afforded him a much better and
memorable picture.

I take it you're making fun or poo pooing a word of advice to Michael? Also
the above rule and supporting a photograph of the usual adult shooting down
on a child, be the adult parent, grandparent or friend makes no difference
when it comes to the quality of the finished product. If the picture could
be improved by the photographer whomever that might be, bent their knees and
down to execute a smashing good photograph instead of the looking at the top
of the head.

Of course I could be mistaken by your comment and if that is the case please
accept my apology, but surely accept the praise for your  excellent picture.

I'm amazed with the number of pictures shown here looking down on children
creating a meaningless photograph, when if executed correctly would, could
and might create a wonderful heart warming picture instead of the "look I'm
6 feet tall and here's another picture of a kid way down there!"

Time after time it's a photograph of the shooters child and it's spoiled
simply for one reason......... we're looking once again at the top of the
head, or very nearly so. I can't imagine some folks constantly forget the
"one little rule" if you like.  Knees bend, that's why we have them!

Meanwhile you show us how it can be done to make an excellent picture
"whether you bent your knees or not," isn't relevant to the finished
product. It's a wonderful photograph because thought went into it rather
than "look down, click!"

More examples of your quality photograph would be a huge improvement on
"here's another picture of my kid away down there!"  What I don't understand
is why some folks keep doing it, not bending the knees,  when it's such a
simple thing to correct. Trust me if a photographer drops down to their
knees immediately in 99% of the time improve the strength of their
photographs.

And by the way, that's not bad advise when shooting most field sports also.
;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant