Subject: RE: [Leica] re: Breaking the Rules
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:20:19 -0500

I have recommended that students (and professors) read the following
three books:

"Photography Is A Language" by Whiting
"Photographic Impact in Print" by Hurley & McDougall
"Willie" by Ken Heyman

There are many other classic books and texts available but the modern
generation of students and professors do not seem to be aware of any of
them.

Best wishes, Mike

I don't believe it! Someone else out there who has not only heard of, but
obviously seen - and maybe even owns - Willie. Willie and Ken Heyman had an
enormous influence on me, even if I wasn't aware of it at the time. Willie
represents to me the best of what photography can be all about - documenting
the every day, "meaningless," moments and events which make up the fabric of
a people, a society, or of a single human life.

I wonder what ever happened to Willie - did he die in Vietnam with The
Beaver?;-)

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com> (RE: [Leica] re: Breaking the Rules)