Subject: [Leica] breakin the law breakin the law
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:37:03 -0800

doug sed:

>The PLUG's 10 Commandments of Leica Photography
>1) Thy children are ugly. Do not make us look upon them.
>Michael, rules like these beg disobedience! Good on ya.
>
>The niece - Corri
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=455437&size=lg

doug however did not break the first commandment in this photo. we are not
looking at his niece. rather, we are looking at the first generation of a
new world, fantastically framed against a new skyline. this photo is
trancendent of family snapshots. good job doug. she is the first that will
come of age in a generation of terrorism and physical uncertanty on the
shoes of america and this photo shows that very well.

any decent photographer can take photos of the family that will blow away
grandma and grandpa and the aunts and uncles, it's a matter of composition
and exposure and focus, basically knowing the rules of photography -- these
make great gifts and they bring untold joy to the family. there's nothing
wrong with them, they're just not appealing to people who don't know your
relatives. the real challenge when photographing kids and pay attention now
here luggers, is to take a photograph of a kid THAT SOMEBODY WHO DOESN'T
KNOW YOU OR YOURS WILL HANG ON THE WALL. once you can do that, you've
conquored photography.

kc