Subject: RE: [Leica] interacting with strangers -- a very important element of photography
From: "Jeffery Smith" <jsmith45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 10:44:27 -0600

Kyle,

Thanks for the mini-lesson on interacting with strangers. I was commencing
to photograph an elderly man with binoculars on a jetty in Lake Ponchartrain
(the crane on the jetty was my week 51 PAW). I tried to strike up a
conversation with him by asking him if he was bird watching, but his face
said otherwise. He then told me that he was searching for the body of his
nephew whose flatboat had capsized in the lake 4 days earlier. I would have
loved to have gotten an image of the obvious pain and swollen, weary eyes
but I would have felt like a heel. I'm sure that there would have been a way
to approach him anyway, but I was out of my league on this one.

I'll try that schmoozing book ASAP.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA