Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: #190 A Flat Panel iMac
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 11:25:02 -0800

> Strange, my Mac TiBook has adjustable resolution and it has a flat panel
> display. Image quality looks great at all resolutions.  Come to think of
> it, my Sony Vaio does too.  What kind of flat panel are you referring to?

All flat panel displays have fixed resolution. It's just how they work.
Laptops, desktops, LCDs. Doesn't matter.

If your laptop has adjustable resolution, and you find that the image
quality looks equally great at all resolutions, then perhaps you just
haven't tried it at its native resolution. Whenever you display, on a
latptop or other flat panel, a pixel rectangle whose dimensions are not
equal to that of the display, it must do one of three things:
		* Use a subset of the screen (if the display image is smaller than the
screen)
  * Truncate the image (if the display image is larger than the screen)
  * Resample. This means that the pixels that you see being displayed are
dynamically generated from resampling the actual pixels in your image. If
this is happening and you are very pleased with the results, then you are
lucky, because you please easily.

If you don't believe me, and you are a photoshop person, you can test this
for yourself by building, in photoshop, an image that has alternating
columns and/or rows of two-pixel stripes, and displaying it on your screen
in "show actual pixels" mode or in a browser, and looking at the results
under a magnifying glass.

I consider this thread quite on-topic for the LUG because it is about how
to optimize image quality with the tools that we use, and how to understand
the means by which we can make the best pictures that we can make for the
display media available to us.