Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: interacting with strangers -- a very important element of photography
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 15:02:29 -0600

ericm@pobox.com (Eric)1/1/021:22 PM

> I'm genuinely curious.  What motivates people to want to take
> pictures of others who are suffering?

The best theatre, film, literature, and art deals with all the
human emotions. Photography has the ability to deal with reality
in a way the other arts can not.

To capture, in a fellow human being's face, a moment of joy,
sorrow, anger, humor, puzzlement, contemplation - allows us to
experience compassion, empathy, stewardship and/or harmony with
our fellow human beings.

The question - Does my interest in the subject of suffering
exploit the sufferer(s) or explore the suffering with integrity?

Motivations to create photographs:
    Document events because they feel important
    Journal of life experiences
    Create images that visually communicate in ways words can't
    Useful to understand the human condition
    Useful to understand my self in the world
    Create beautiful compositions of light and shadow
    Tell a picture story
    Document events for money
    Document objects for money

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: interacting with strangers -- a very important element of photography)