Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Bokeh is nonsense!!!
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 06:30:53 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:15:06 -0500 Austin Franklin
<darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > I never heard of it until the LUG, and I've worked with many
> > (probably lesser)
> > photographers for 25 years...no one EVER commented on the OOF
> > areas, AT ALL!!!
>
> Well, Walt, I've been a photographer for over 25 years, and I have had a LOT
> of comments on the OOF areas of a lot of my images.  Perhaps that's because
> I pay attention to that aspect of the image when shooting, and I seem to do
> so in the appropriate situations that others notice it too.
>
> Just because it's a technique that you don't use, doesn't mean it's not a
> viable technique for others, because it is.
>
> Austin

Austin, if it is in fact a technique, it's one we ALL use...and for the most
part, take for granted.
I've heard terms "selective" focus, just never "bokeh"
or the "quality" of these OOF areas...in terms of lenses...

It's a simple fact that OOF areas are affected by the design of the lens and
the diaphragm shape...just look at a "mirror" lens result for proof...some like
it, some don't....I don't...
I'm just commenting that the "bokeh" or lack thereof has little to do with the
MANUFACTURER...and that most working photographers accept the OOF areas with
little or no comment...

Walt