Subject: RE: [Leica] interacting with strangers -- a very important element of photography
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:27:57 -0500

Don wrote:

To second Kyle's example, here in Atlanta we have a large number of bold
panhandlers.  Even if you don't look prosperous they will walk up to you,
start a conversation, then get to the point: can you spare a couple of
bucks.

My point is if it is possible to strike up a conversation and ask for money,
it is child's play to ask to take a picture.

<

Really bad example/comparison, Don. THEY can walk up and ask for money
because they are hungry/desperate or otherwise in need of the money and have
learned to overcome natural reticence. YOU are not hungry/desperate or
otherwise in real need of that photo. My guess is that if you WERE the
media, assigned to photography ordinary people, then you would be
hungry/desperate and would do it. ;-)

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] interacting with strangers -- a very important element of photography)