Subject: [Leica] Re: Photo school or what?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:58:09 -0800

Several of us on the LEG/LUG/HUG/RUG/etcUG...  went to Brooks Institute of
Photography. I know Joe Codespoti attended Brooks but cannot remember who
else. Sal?.

I can recommend it enthusiastically. It is a wonderful school. When I went,
it was a trade school and you earned a trade diploma. It was v-e-r-y
technical and you learned film and processes inside and out. You learned
the craft of photography. There were two paths through the school,
commercial and portrait. The first nine months were the same for everyone.
The basics of the craft of photography. Then six months in either
commercial or portrait, followed by three months of color printing (dye
transfer,) and six months of motion picture.

This is my best at remembering the times in the various disciplines. But
the path to completion is correct for that era.

I was there in 1959/60/61, when Ernest Brooks Sr. (the founder) was the
president and owner. I worked closely with him and his son Ernie Brooks Jr.
on an underwater motion picture that we shot in Guymas Mexico. This was the
initiation of the Brooks underwater photography courses.

After Mr. Brooks Sr. passed on, Ernie Jr. took over and has run the school
until a few years ago. I'm not sure of the exact ownership and stewardship
these days. I am a life Alumni member. And I do know personally, besides
Ernie Brooks Jr., David Litchell, the current academic dean.

Visit their web site and request a complete literature package. If you are
truly interested, I will introduce you to David Litchell. He would be the
person to talk to about the current curriculum they offer.

Jim