Subject: Re: [Leica] silver-chroming parts, how, where, possible?
From: gilded grass <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:44:23 -0600

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 10:05  AM, Grégoire Vandenschrick wrote:

> I would like to know if someone has ever silver chromed this kind of
> piece,
> or if someone know where I could have this done, all advice welcome. I'm
> searching real silver-chroming, not paint it in silver, this is quite
> different ;-). I also know ther is some differences and
> incompatibilities
> between the metal and the type of chroming (explaining so the
> difference of
> wheigt between the black and silver optics), is it possible to overcome
> this?

a friend of mine who is a metal sculptor tells me that just about
anything metal can be chrome-plated and that it's not terribly
expensive.  many auto body shops are capable of doing it--though, as
cars contain less and less chrome, they're doing it less and less
often.  also, many machine shops--i'm not sure what you'd call them in
belgium--can do it.

best,
brad daly

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=190241

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

"Most civilized nations compensate for the inadequacy of wages by
providing relatively generous public services such as health insurance,
free or subsidized child care, subsidized housing, and effective public
transportation.  But the United States, for all its wealth, leaves its
citizens to fend for themselves."
	--Barbara Ehrenreich