Subject: Re: [Leica] feb shutterbug
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:43:46 -0500

> Of course it's just hype...and I don't think that the fact that Bob Seeger
> is singing is what helps sell the Chevys...Rather, it is Bob Seeger's
> delivery of the song and message that helps sell the Chevys - if that makes
> any sense...Or, to put it another way, I doubt that Chevy thinks that anyone
> will buy one of their trucks because a person named Bob Seeger sings about
> them. Rather, Chevy thinks that the way the singer delivers that line, will
> stick in people's heads and influence them. ;-)
>
> B. D.

Yes, partially true. But they use Bob Seeger (even though he has not had a
hit since the'70's) because he is still very, very popular amongst a certain
segment of our society, namely rural white men covering  a broad age span.

Advertisers do this all the time and I could give hundreds of examples, but
here is just one 'Auto Zone' which is a national franchised auto parts
store. They have had an ad campaign, TV and radio, for several years now,
and the voice/talent is always hispanic or african. Because that is who
their target is. Auto Zone stocks and sells low priced, junk auto trinkets,
oil, cheap wrenches. And because of whom they use to sell their products,
hispanics/africans, this is who their primary clientele is, they are a
successful franchise

Leica, for example, is after a much more well to-do, sophisticated buyer. So
their marketing dollars go into well known photographers such as Gibson.
Leica's print advertising budget is very small, because realistically the
return from Shutterbug's (the Auto Zone comparison applies) readership would
be small. So they also spend money supporting workshops such as the Park
Square annual with Ted, where they can count on a better return at the same
time build a loyal following.

And I do not see anything wrong with them doing that. I do think it is
important for people to understand that when they buy Shutterbug there is no
question you are being manipulated.

Please remember the BIG reason (aside from cost) that the Ford Model T was
such a success was ol' Henry was the first manufacturer, in addition to mass
production, to use mass advertising promotion.

I sell advertising so could probably could go on for weeks talking about
this.

sl