Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:50:21 -0400

I too use a jobo and found the Xtol sytem to be a problem.  It is not Jobo
that is the Problem, but Xtol.  Each roll of film needs at least 100cc of
pure Xtol for rotary tube processing.  This is in Jobo's and Kodak's web
site.  When you start diluting the Xtol, you soon reach the capacity of the
tank.  I don't know if this is a problem with the normal hand agitating.

I have two of the Jobo Automatic processors and in the case of the ATL-1
you can only set the quantity of chemicals for all of the steps at
once.  In other words, if you want to put a litre of diluted xtol into a
tank, it will also pump a litre of  stop and fix, when it may only need
half of that for the stop and fix.

With my ATL 1000, it just pumps out the total volume that you put into the
chemical storage bottle.  So you could put in 750ml of diluted Xtol and
then the smaller quantities of the stop and fix into their respective
containers.  With the ATL 1000, your chemical bottle storage capacity is
only 750ml .  With 1:3  and 1:2 dilutions, you can only do about two films
in a four or five  roll tank.    At 1:1 , you can do four rolls.

For simplicity sake, the Xtol has tended to go bad while I just used
Rodinal.  Jim Brick is right about Rodinal.  It is simple to use and lasts
forever.  Works great in the Jobo as well as the quantities of raw
developer per roll of film is pretty low.

All the talk of Xtol has got me thinking about trying it again.

Regards,

Robert