Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspw.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:59:01 -0500 (EST)

> From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
>
> Rei... the best synopsis that I have read on developer exhaustion control...
> thanks
> I think I need to go buy that cookbook.....

it's an invaluable resource, more practical than _the negative_, more
comprehensive than picker, more up-to-date than either, as well as being
an enjoyable read with many fascinating asides and quotes. and it has
a plastic ring binding, perfect to reading in the darkroom between processes!

you can get (20% off your first purchase) from :

http://www.bhusa.com/focalbooks/us/subindex.asp?maintarget=&isbn=&country=United+States&srccode=&ref=&subcode=&head=

do a search for "cookbook"
when i went to that site, they say the second edition is due to be
published in march 2002!

> Developer exhaustion, when used LOCALLY, is the method called
> compensation... Basically, WITHOUT agitation, you let the film cook for a
> while.  Locally, the developer ions get exhausted wher ther is lOTS of
> silver that has been exposed to light.. those areas that have had little or
> no exposure to light take longer to exhaust.  The effective effect is that
> the shadows get developed with more time than the highlight areas.  Great
> solution for LF film.. kinda worthless to 35mm guys....  ( for those that
> REALLY care to use this with roll film, you develop horizontally, in a big
> long tray ( that is what a pipe is called when it is cut in half along its
> length and capped on both ends))  in the dark.  No agitation.  Usually done
> with low activity developers.

stand developing, page 37-38.

- -rei